Friday, January 16, 2015

I promised myself...

that I would write a blog every week. Well, I didn't get one done last week. Ironically, it was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek bit about how when I clean I cannot finish one task without being drawn off into other ones. I have a real problem with this and I know it is not a rare or unusual problem, either. It causes disruption in the home, exhaustion, and confusion. I have seen it called Attention Deficit Cleaning Disorder. No, it isn't really an official disorder, but it really describes me to a "T". I have to consciously force myself to stay one one project and in one room until I am finished with that job. 

Last weekend was a real struggle for me to finish the task I had set before myself. I have replaced the carpet in most of our mobile home with peel and stick vinyl tiles. They look like wood or slate and are very easy to lay down. My oldest daughter's room was the last room to be done. The challenge is the prep work...pulling up the carpet and them making sure that all of the staples and tacks are removed from the subfloor. I had a long weekend to finish this...plenty of time, I thought...

My husband helped pull up the carpet. He really is a big help because I just don't have the strength to pull it up as fast as he can...I cut it into strips and he pulls. Unfortunately there was some paint that had stuck to the carpet from when the room was painted many years ago, so when he pulled, a large section of wallboard paper came with it. Not his fault, but it sent me on a tangent...now I had to repair that part of the wall so I started to repair all of the spots that had holes. That required pulling out the joint compound and tape, tools, and remnants of paint. I spent several hours on fixing the walls in four rooms (all with different colors of paint) instead of laying tile strips. 

I managed to finish the floor and get everything back into her room so she could get homework done and enjoy her "personal space" by Monday afternoon. My husband and I also took a load of stuff to storage and I packed more boxes. I was frustrated by how much I thought I should have been able to get done instead of going off onto this tangent. I needed to do those repairs, but I have planned it for this coming weekend, to be done along with some larger wall-repair work so all the same supplies could be pulled at the same time. I know I should be happy that I finished as much as I did finish...

So this is why I didn't get a blog written last week. I have so many good ideas that I have been making note of them. I have considered writing more than once a week, but I guess I need to make sure I can do at least one a week for a while. I will hold those ideas for a time when no good ideas have come...

No comments:

Post a Comment